The ultimate week of the MLB season is upon us and there are nonetheless just a few issues up within the air for the postseason. Each night time between now and the tip of the season on Sunday, we’ll convey you an up to date have a look at the MLB postseason image.
A lot of how the Nationwide League shakes out is driving on the three-headed monster within the NL Central — the division-leading Chicago Cubs plus present wild-card leaders, the Milwaukee Brewers and St. Louis Cardinals.
On Monday night time, we received one step nearer to chaos.
The Cubs, enjoying the Pirates, took an L and misplaced a slight little bit of their grasp on the division. In the meantime, the Brewers beat the Cardinals 6-Four to take probably the most benefit of the Cubs’ loss.
When every part was performed, the Cubs’ lead within the division was minimize to only 1.5 video games over the Brewers. The Cardinals’ NL Central hopes had been positively harm. They’re now 4.5 behind the Cubs with an elimination variety of two — that means they might be out of the division race as shortly as Tuesday.
Right here’s a have a look at the remainder of the remainder of the league after Monday’s motion, together with which division might be locked up Tuesday and the place the wild-card groups sit:
• Houston Astros: They’ve a postseason spot clinched, however Houston remains to be making an attempt to seize the AL West crown. Their Magic Quantity to try this is 2, so it’ll occur Tuesday with an Astros win and an A’s loss.
State of the MLB playoff races
• NL West: The Rockies and Dodgers every gained Monday night time, so issues remained the identical of their race for the division crown. The Dodgers proceed to carry onto a 1.5 recreation lead. This may come all the way down to who flinches. The Dodgers have now gained three straight and the Rockies have gained 4 in a row.
• NL Wild Card: The Rockies did achieve some floor within the wild-card race, due to the Cardinals’ loss to Milwaukee. The Rockies at the moment are a half-game behind St. Louis for the second wild-card spot. The Brewers additionally now have a three-game lead for the highest wild-card spot within the NL.
• AL Wild Card: The A’s punched their postseason ticket Monday night time, however there are nonetheless some issues to determine. We all know it’s the Yankees and the A’s. We simply don’t know the place they’ll play. Each groups gained Monday night time, so the Yankees keep their 1.5 recreation lead.
• Boston Purple Sox: The Purple Sox already had the AL East locked up, however with a win Monday night time, additionally they clinched the very best file in MLB and home-field benefit all through the postseason.
• Cleveland Indians: They’ve been the AL Central champs for a pair weeks now.
• Atlanta Braves: The Braves secured the NL East crown over the weekend. There’s nonetheless an opportunity they will catch the Cubs for finest file within the NL. They’re three wins again.
If the playoffs began at present
Wild-card video games: A’s at Yankees; Cardinals at Brewers
ALDS: Indians vs. Astros; Wild-card winner vs. Purple Sox
NLDS: Dodgers vs. Braves; Wild-card winner vs. Cubs
Tuesday’s must-see recreation
It’s the Brewers and Cardinals once more, since this NL Central showdown may imply a lot to the NL as a complete. Milwaukee will ship Gio Gonzalez to the mound in opposition to St. Louis rookie Austin Gomber. First pitch is at 8:40 p.m. ET.
– – – – – –
Extra from Yahoo Sports activities:
• Tiger’s win is the best comeback in sports activities historical past
• White Sox star says what many take into consideration umpire
• Charles Robinson: Newest flag on Packers’ Matthews could also be worst but
• Rams’ Gurley actually isn’t a fan of Thursday video games