Portland riot declared outside police union building.

Protests continued in the city for Black Lives Matter and against police brutality for the 72nd consecutive night when police declared a riot outside the Portland Police Association building on North Lombard Street.

On Saturday, demonstrations were organized both in Northeast and Southeast Portland. A march was organized Laurelhurst Park Saturday evening, the same location and time as Friday night’s march, which ended at the Penumbra Kelly Building where an unlawful assembly declaration was made by police.

READ  Indonesia tsunami: Providers start returning to Palu, however destiny of 1000's unknown

Also on the east side of the river, a rally and march at Peninsula Park began at 8 p.m. and included both a gathering of the PDX Dads Leafblower Brigade and a Defund the Police Refund the People event, according to the website Portland Black Lives Matter Events. Music and speakers preceded the march.

Around 10 p.m., Moms United for Black Lives Matter led demonstrators on a march northwest from Peninsula Park. Hundreds of people walked to the Portland Police Association Headquarters on N Lombard Street. Portland Police stated on Twitter that traffic was blocked from North Interstate Ave to North Denver Ave due to the demonstration and warned people not to “engage in criminal activities.”

READ  Ben Sasse Reacts To Trump's 'Horseface' Remark: 'That is Not The Means Males Act'

People chanted in the street. Multiple dumpsters were overturned lit on fire and chain link fences were set up on both sides of the street as barricades.

READ  Pentagon hasn't sent ventilators, first deliveries slated to happen in May

At 11:38 p.m. Portland police announced over their loudspeaker that the demonstration was an unlawful assembly and told people to leave the area. Minutes later, authorities declared a riot.

Police said a riot was declared after a group of people broke into the PPA office and started a fire inside. “Officers moved the crowd so the fire could be extinguished before it could grow out of control,” said Portland police via Twitter.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here